Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hair Steamer - First Try!

Hello All!

I hope you are having an AWESOME week as am I! :-) As I mentioned in my last post, last weekend, I purchased a Huetiful Steamer at the Baltimore Natural Hair Expo. Yes! Online, the steamer+facial attachment goes for $124.90 (free shipping), however, I was able to purchase mine for $109.90 at the expo. I was SO excited.



So, I bought the steamer on Sunday, I received it on Wednesday. Pretty nice considering this was regular mail. The steamer was very well packaged with lots of styrofoam and plastic cushion. The GREAT thing about it was:

1) It has only 3 assembly parts - the rest is already done!
2) It took me maybe......1 min to put it together.
3) It's fully automated - once I put the water in and turn it on, it turns off on its own after about 20-30 minutes.
4) It was a BREEZE to clean.

The only things I would complain about is:
1) The hood did not cover my head completely, so I had to shift every now and then to reach the lower back parts of my hair.
2) It doesn't have an adjustable timer (what if I want to stay under for longer than 25-30 minutes?)

So, you may be wondering how my regimen went that day. Well, first, let me tell you what condition my hair was already in at the moment:

1) I had worn wash and go's for about 3 months straight. (Yea Yea what I said about protective styles - I'm going to do better!!!) Although I would co-wash my hair every other night (or sometimes every night), I only clarified my hair about once a month.

2) When I would wash, I would lightly detangle my hair while conditioner was in it. That's about it.

My regimen for the steam treatment is as follows:
1) Shampoo - Aubrey Organics Green Tea Shampoo

2) Condition - V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie, small amount of YTC Mud Mask Conditioner

3) Did not detangle (that's what the steamer is supposed to help with right?)

4) Applied my DC mixture:
1/2 cup Conditioner
1/4 cup EVOO
3 Tbsp CTDG (Qhemet)
3 Tbsp Jojoba Oil

4) After conditioning, I poured  water into the steamer, along with a few drops of rosemary oil. (I have a funny store about that later)

5) I turned on the steamer and the water began boiling after about 4-5 minutes.

6) I positioned myself under the steamer (seating was not an issue for me as I had an optimum location for the setup (I sat the steamer on top of the styrofoam pad on top of my coffee table and sat in a folding chair in front of the t.v.)

7) Sat under the steamer for 25-30 and the steamer turned off (even though it still had water left)

8) I felt my hair to see if it was soft and......*drumroll* EPIC FAILURE!!!!!!! LOL My hair felt like wet tumbleweed:


Causes? I'm not quite sure, really, but I'm 85% sure that it had nothing to do with the steamer. I believe that the culprit was my DC mixture. I'm not sure yet, but I'm not absolutely sure that my hair likes oil. Not just any oil, either, but specifically, olive oil. I've heard people rave about using it in DC mixtures, however, I've tried those, and I felt as if it did absolutely nothing for my hair, especially for softness. This includes honey as well, however, I don't know which one yet because I've always used them in combination (olive oil+honey). However, this time, I did not include honey and got wet straw instead of my hair :-( lol.

Anywhoo, my hair was a mess, and was H3LL to detangle, even when I tried to add more conditioner to it. It was terrible. I just took this as a fail and a lesson learned for next time. I decided to try and do two-strand twists for a style (my first protective style of the year lol. It took WAY too long dealing with detangling (I had given up on that, really, but it took so long), but I finally finished, not perfect but here's the results:

Front Two-Strand Twist Bang - Flat Twists on Each Side

Medium-Sized Two-Strand Twists in the Back
Back While Wet - Had to add some HANG!
O.K. So for these twists, I used some grease mixture I bought from the hair expo (all natural, I'll have to post the actual product later - it contains mostly oils and shea butter) for my scalp, and some sort of whipped butter (I forgot the name of that, too LOL - I'll post later) for the actual twists. They came out great, however, I would have liked for the twists to be smaller. Next time. Next time.

Next time, I plan on using ONLY conditioner+CTDG for my DC mixture and see how that comes out. I want to try some coconut milk or coconut oil, but I don't want to add more fuel to the fire before I find out what works well and what doesn't. Next time. Next time. LOL!

Anyway, that's it for now. Also, here's some fun photos from some previous styles I've tried:


HAPPY GROWING!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry the Huetiful didn't work the first time out. Definitely sounds like a DC issue. See what happens when you change it!

    Also, I have nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award! Check my post for details! Peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Thanks so much! I'm glad to see you enjoy my blog :)

    Never underestimate the joy people gain by recognition from others. I truly appreciate your support!!! Btw, Congrats on your BC!!!! I think it looks LOVELY!!! Nothing like a fresh start. Hope everything is going well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award as well! I love QUALITY blogs, so check out my page for details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the award!!! I'm just now doing it...sorry I'm a procrastinator!!! Have you got the hang of the steamer, I'm currently looking for one now!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post! I enjoy comments and feedback from my readers. Please no rude, disrespectful, and hateful comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...