Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Product Review - Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Purification Masque

Hello Lovelies!!!!

I am bringing another product review to you ladies because I know yall want to hear good things to encourage you to buy! LOL!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHEA MOISTURE ORGANIC AFRICAN BLACK SOAP PURIFICATION MASQUE


Price: $9.99 /12oz Jar via Walgreens

What Shea Moisture says about this product...
Detoxify, condition and soothe hair and scalp with gentle Kaolin clay, herbal extracts, botanical enzymes and essential vitamins. Our intense treatment relieves dry, itchy scalp, removes product buildup and preserves hair by sealing in natural moisture. Treats dandruff, eczema & psoriasis.
  • Plantain enzyme: Helps to alleviate itchiness and irritation
  • Tea tree: Removes buildup for enhanced shine and volume
  • Willow bark extract: Exfoliates and detoxifies hair and scalp
  • Ethically traded ingredients, sustainably produced
  • No parabens, phthalates, paraffin, gluten, propylene glycol, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, PABA, synthetic color, DEA, animal ingredients or sulfates
  • Cruelty free, no animal testing
  • Sulfate free, color safe, organic

Directions: Apply generously to dampened hair, leaving on 5-30 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Shake well, natural ingredients tend to settle.


Ingredients:
Deionized Water , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Mangfera Indica Seed Butter (Mango) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , African Black Soap Extract , Sea Salt , Cetyl Esters , Kaolin Clay , Grapeseed Oil , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner) , Salicylic Acid , Salix Alba Bark Extract (Willow) , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree) , Sorbitol Esters , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Rosemary Extract , Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage) , Plantain Extract , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IANBG Review:
The first time I used this product, I was amazed in so many different ways. The product is thick, almost like greek yogurt. The smell resembles bananas, which took me completely off guard. I usually don't like banana-smells (popsicles, ripe bananas, now and laters, etc.), however, in this product....I actually like it! I used it as a deep conditioner post washing with Eden Body Works Shampoo and Conditioner. When I applied it to my hair...I was flabbergasted. This stuff has so. much. slip. it's ridiculous. Heck, I was planning to just leave it in for about 45 minutes and then detangle after rinsing. But the slip was too good to waste! I began detangle, and whereas it usually takes me about 2-3 hours to detangle, I detangled in an hour and a half with this product!!! (I've gotten it down to a lower time by trial and error, but this was a feat!). After detangling, I rinsed it out (my hair was SO moisturized), and got to styling my hair in medium-sized twists for an updo, something similar to this:



The following morning, my head was.....ABLAZE! My scalp was itching something FIERCE. I had never experienced anything like this, especially after JUST washing my hair. Something was fishy! The only addition to my regimen had been the masque. So I went to the ingredients and inspected. AHA! This product contains clay. The directions instructed one to leave product on hair for 5-30 minutes. (NOT an hour and a half) I could not find anything online to back up my theory, but I think I made the mistake of allowing the clay to somewhat dry and deposit onto my scalp. I thought I had washed it all out, but obviously not, causing my scalp to flare up due to the leftover, dried up residue.

I decided to test out my theory. The itchies were so bad, that the next day, I took the twists out, re-washed my hair, and reapplied the clay again. This time, I only let it sit for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I rinsed and detangled while styling into twists. The morning after, I had NO itchies, and my hair was nice and moisturized. I was sort of disappointed that I would not be able to use this as a detangler since it was so slippery, but it DOES deliver on the deep conditioning, too. I have used this (in combination with coconut oil, olive oil) as my staple deep conditioner ever since and I LOVE it!

IANBG Rating:
Moisture:  **** (4 stars - *Swoon* however I do add a bit of olive/coconut oil for deeper penetration)
Smell: **** (4 Stars - A first for me to like banana smells - it does not linger!)
Detangling/Slip: *** (3 Stars - Slip was amazing - but wasn't applicable to me due to the limited sitting time)
Overall: ***** (5 Stars - Definitely on my list of favorites!)

Have any of you tried this product? What was your take on it?






***DISCLAIMER: I purchased this product with my own money. I was in no way compensated or contacted by Shea Moisture to provide this review. All comments are of my own honest opinion and are based on MY hair and its reaction to the products.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this product yet. Thanks for the review! Walgreens is having a BOGO sale so I know exactly what I'll be purchasing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You had the same problem? I thought this was suppose to help my itchy scalp but it just made it completely worse. I guess I had left in too long as well. I'm really glad that you tried again and didn't give up on the product. I am going to try this again tonight before co washing, but the right way. Thank you for your review. ( even though i am really late). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post on organic products. I have read your whole post and I really liked it. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a cancer patient after the chemo my hair in the front didnt come back very well. will this product be good for my hair

    ReplyDelete
  5. im a cancer patient after the chemo my hair in the front didnt come back very well. will this product be good for my hair

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post! I enjoy comments and feedback from my readers. Please no rude, disrespectful, and hateful comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...