Sunday, December 18, 2011

Natural Hair Inspiration - Nikia


I'm a Natural Black Girl: Introduce yourself!
Nikia: Hello, I am Nikia Pope, a 23 year old recent graduate ofTuskegee University, currently pursuing a Masters in Public Health. I am from Atlanta, Ga. Blogger. Freelance Writer.

(Woot Woot, fellow TU alumni!)

IANBG: How long have you been natural? If you transitioned, how long did you transition for? What were you signature transition styles?
N: I have being natural for about 1 year and 6 months. I transitioned for a year. Sew-ins were my transition style of choice.

IANBG: Who/What inspired you to transition to natural hair?
N: I toiled with the idea of going natural for months, & then I decided that I wanted to define my own beauty and I wanted healthy hair.



IANBG: How was your transition? Did you receive any negativity from your decision?
N: My transition was good. It has taught me a lot about myself and my hair. Of course, there are always those who speak negative things about your transition, but I pay them no mind. After all, I am doing this for MYSELF.

IANBG: Describe your BC.
N: My big-cut took place over 3 days. The first day I cut some hair, the 2nd day I cut more, @ that point I was questioning what I had done. I don’t  think I was prepared for how I looked. The third day, I just cut it all off and decided not to look back. Oh chile, My afro was sooo little..LOL…

IANBG: Describe your natural hair in 5 words or less.
N: Beautiful. Curly, Strong, Full of Life.


IANBG: What is your regimen along with the products that you use?
N: Prepoo: First I part my hair into four sections. I then take olive oil and a mix of conditioner (Giovanni) and add it to each section really well. I let it sit in my hair for about an hour.

Oil Rinsing: Oil rinsing is essentially washing your hair with oil before applying your conditioner. I have found that occasionally oil rinsing allows my hair to dentangle easier and it also softens it up. To oil rinse, simply do the following: Wash or Rinse hair (its always best to begin with CLEAN hair for maximum results), apply(coat) oil of choice from root to tip, rinse with warm/hot water, apply conditioner, rinse with cool/cold water, apply leave-in, and seal. (My favorite oil to use for oil rinses is olive oil. But I do use any other oil of my liking, as you should too)

Deep Conditioning: After I rinse my pre-poo mix out of my head I then deep condition my hair. I will either use my Homemade Shea Butter Mix (shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil and honey) or Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque or whatever homemade recipe I am trying at the time. I will deep condition anywhere from 2-4 hours and sometimes overnight.

Shampoo: After I deep condition, I then wash my hair (w: Hello Hydration Shampoo) in the same 4 sections, focusing more on my scalp than my hair strands. I shampoo my hair every other week. The weeks that I do not shampoo, I do a Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (ACV).

Conditioner: After I shampoo, I then proceed to condition my hair, with Hello Hydration Conditioner.

After I am done conditioning, I dry my hair with an old t-shirt, immediately apply my leave-in conditioner of choice (Giovanni, Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie.), & proceed to my style of choice, which is a twist-out. I use olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, grapeseed oil, or jojoba oil as a sealant.


IANBG: What are 5 products/tools that you cannot live without?
N: EVOO, Shea Butter, Grapeseed Oil, Bobby Pins, Coconut Oil

IANBG: What have you learned thus far in your natural hair journey?
N: My hair is beautiful, strong, and healthy. I have learnedthat hair does not define who I am. It is only apart of who I am as a person.If I am good to my hair it will in return be good to me.

IANBG: Who are your natural hair inspirations?
N: I have been my own inspiration, as I do not know many close friends that have made the natural hair transition.



IANBG: Any words of advice for those transitioning or new to the natural hair community?
N: Be patient with your hair. This is something new for the both of you. Research as much as you can. Join natural hair communities,YOUTUBE will be your best-friend. Create a regimen that works for you, don’t just copy what others are doing. Every head of hair is different; therefore they will require different things. EXPERIMENT which products, regimens, and styles-how else will you find out what works for you and your hair.

IANBG: How can we contact you? (Blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)Personal Blog: Created2Reign
Facebook: NikiaPope
Facebook: Created2Reign
Twitter: @Popit4Pope
Tumblr: Idesire2inspire

2 comments:

  1. Love the hair ties. Wish I knew how to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired by the hair regimen she shared. Will try to do it too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post! I enjoy comments and feedback from my readers. Please no rude, disrespectful, and hateful comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...