Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wash Day Details!

Hey Lovelies!

I am back on to share the details of my most recent wash day experience. This time around, I chose to indulge in my Black Friday goodies from Oyin Handmade (review coming soon!)

For this washday, I had decided to skip the prepoo/pre-detangle, just to see how my hair would fare without it. I'll get into the details of that fiasco later. Anywhoo, I did this because recently, I decided to go through and play with my regimen to figure out what steps were necessary and which were not, and this was the first thing to go.


So, on Friday, I dived straight into the regimen starting with a shampoo.

Shampoo (15 mins)
Rinse-Out Conditioner (5 mins)
Deep Conditioner (30-45 mins)
After I completed the deep condition, I proceeded to detangle my hair. HONEYYYYYY, I will NEVER not detangle my hair after wearing twists for 2 weeks AGAIN. I know, I know, I should've known better, but I usually detangle while pre-pooing and then let the oil sit on my scalp for hours, sometimes overnight. So when I nixed the overnight pre-poo, I automatically nixed the detangle that went with it. What a dire mistake. It took me.....5-6 hours to detangle my hair, and that's with me getting a bit frustrated and, as a result, rough with my hair. If I had been gentle, it could've taken anywhere from 7-8 hours. I almost just wanted to chop it all off. It was terrible.

SO, my findings are that I WILL be nixing the overnight pre-poo from my routine, BUT, I will do a pre-poo ONLY to aid in a pre-detangling session. My hair does not detangle well while soaking wet with conditioner but just a lil oil (or Kinky Curly Knot Today) works wonders.
*******************************************************
Styling
For my Christmas hair style, I would be attempting to channel iknowlee from YouTube. Her two-strand twist protective style updo was just...fabulous. For my two-strand twists, I oiled my scalp using Simply Natural Organicals (SNO) Herbal Hair & Scalp Therapy, used Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew as a leave-in, and Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme (review coming soon!). I also sealed my ends with organic raw shea butter. (Note: I braided the roots about a 1/2 inch down to prevent my roots from puffing up and getting frizzy too early)

Here are the results:



HUH?!?! I thought my pin-up protective style was supposed to look like this:
Source
*SIGH* I'm beginning to come to the realization that I do not have....thick hair. *cries* My hair has always looked scalpy, but I always believed it was because I was grabbing to tight at the roots. But no, I was just in denial. I mean, I don't exactly have thin hair....but it's definitely not thick. When I posted my photo on Facebook, I received suggestions to do my twists a bit thinner next time, as the method might reduce the "scalpy" effect, however, the photos just go to show that unless I do that....my hair WILL be scalpy.....simply due to the fact that my hair is not THICK.

It is what it is. I'm exceptionally glad that my twists look as healthy as they do. I just wish that I had more of them.....*SIGH* I guess this is just one of those things that you just have to accept about your hair: it might not be as thin/thick (yes, there are some naturals that complain at how thick their hair is and yeah, I know the grass always looks greener on the other side) or as tightly/loosely curly as you want it to be. But I still love my hair and am very glad that it is healthy.

I will be rocking this style until the New Year pops in. I MIGHT take it down shortly before and rock a twist-out, depending on the scheduled festivities (I love letting the fro out to be wild!). I'll keep you guys posted!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! Love the outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post! I enjoy comments and feedback from my readers. Please no rude, disrespectful, and hateful comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...